Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Lightbringer

The Lightbringer brings light to the darkness. Seems like an extremely important card this time of year. Especially today. We could all use some light, some illumination, some clarity. Even when you can see into the corners and don't like what you see. Facing reality and accepting what is, knowing there is nothing you can do to change it, the lightbringer needs you to see it.

I made this card intuitively, like most of my cards. Wasn't really sure what it was going to be about, knew it was Council since the energy felt big. I was doing some research today after I wrote that first paragraph and imagine my shock when I found out that the other name for Lightbringer is "Lucifer". Now Christians hear that name and react with fear and aversion, in fact, I shuddered when I first read it. Scary stuff, Lucifer. At the risk of being considered wiccan or pagan (like it would be the first time LOL) I found some really interesting facts about the Lightbringer which sort of shook up my initial reaction.

From Wikipedia: Lucifer is a poetic name for the "morning star". Venus is characterized as the morning star because it rises on the early morning horizon before the sunrise. This very fact led the ancients to give it the name "lucifer," as it announced the coming of the morning light.

Because the planet Venus (Lucifer) is an
inferior planet, meaning that its orbit lies between the orbit of the Earth and the Sun, it can never rise high in the sky at night as seen from Earth. It can be seen in the eastern morning sky for an hour or so before the Sun rises, and in the western evening sky for an hour or so after the Sun sets, but never during the dark of midnight.

Venus (Lucifer) is the brightest object in the sky after the Sun and the Moon. As bright and as brilliant as it is, ancient people couldn't understand why they couldn't see it at midnight like the outer planets, or during midday, like the Sun and Moon. Some believe they invented myths about Lucifer being cast out from Heaven to explain this. Lucifer was supposed to shine so bright because it wanted to take over the thrones or status of
Saturn and Jupiter, both of which were considered most important by the worshippers of planetary deities at the time.
I mean, you could just knock me over with a feather! Here I made this card thinking it was all positive and light and wonderful and find out it has the most feared and "cast out" meanings behind it. Growing up Baptist, following the King James version of the Bible led me to be petrified of Satan (Lucifer) to the point that I really have never researched anything regarding this area of Christianity, I'm sure I skipped over this part in Isaiah and Ezekiel, just deciding that like a lot of things in the Bible, it's metaphor, not reality:

Many modern Christians have followed tradition and equated "Lucifer" with Satan, or the Devil. The King James Version of the Bible, which was enormously influential in the English speaking world for several centuries, retains reference in Isaiah 14:12. In addition, a parallel description of Lucifer's fall is thought to be found in Ezekiel chapter 28 ("A Prophecy Against the King of Tyre"), which contains a lament over an "anointed cherub" who was in the "holy mountain of God". He is described as "perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee." The passage goes on to describe this being's expulsion from the "mount of God", apparently because his "heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness." Afterwards the passage describes the eventual fate of this corrupted cherub: "therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

So, just like everything with SoulCollage work, you got to wonder why this came up, why today, how did my subconscious know when I made the card weeks ago? Why was my first paragraph concerning bringing light to dark and why did I feel all along that the image was not completely lovely and isn't it sort of astonishing that the light is pouring down into a image of the morning light breaking through the clouds?


Without going into details, the whole story of the fight between God and Lucifer in Ezekiel 28 is particularly relevant today:

1 The word of the LORD came to me:
2 "Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre (Lucifer),
'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "
'In the pride of your heart
you say, "I am a god;
I sit on the throne of a god
in the heart of the seas."
But you are a man and not a god,
though you think you are as wise as a god.

13 You were in Eden,
the garden of God;
every precious stone adorned you:
ruby, topaz and emerald,
chrysolite, onyx and jasper,
sapphire, [
b] turquoise and beryl. [c]
Your settings and mountings [
d] were made of gold;
on the day you were created they were prepared.
14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub,
for so I ordained you.
You were on the holy mount of God;
you walked among the fiery stones.
15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created
till wickedness was found in you.

17 Your heart became proud
on account of your beauty,
and you corrupted your wisdom
because of your splendor.
So I threw you to the earth;
I made a spectacle of you before kings.
18 By your many sins and dishonest trade
you have desecrated your sanctuaries.
So I made a fire come out from you,
and it consumed you,
and I reduced you to ashes on the ground
in the sight of all who were watching.
19 All the nations who knew you
are appalled at you;
you have come to a horrible end
and will be no more.'

Very interesting, hmmm? And really scary. Really, really scary.

The Sufi teacher Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan taught that 'Luciferian Light' is Light which has become dislocated from the Divine Source and is thus associated with the seductive false light of the lower ego which lures humankind into self-centred delusion.

I don't think I like my card anymore. But just like the Death card unfortunately it has a strong message and an extremely relevant insight.

"I am the One who is pouring the light on the morning of the dawning of reality. The light I bring can be scattered, while the Eternal Light is burning brightly even in the night. I am the One who brings awareness of self centered delusion, I am the One who starts out beautiful but allows pride to corrupt, causing a fall. I bring the message of light, remembering the Source, not the Bringer. I remind you to look up to the Light and appreciate the beauty in all things illuminated by God. I am the One who knows where the Light exists and where it comes from."

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow! Powerful stuff for me to ponder.